Thursday 20 August 2009

How do you change the size of the rectangle margue in Photoshop Elements?

I have just been working on some images in the Photoshop Elements again and it has always annoyed me that when I use the rectangle selection tool, that once I let go of the mouse I cannot change its size, only move it. I doubted you couldn't I just didn't know how - a big difference!

I have discovered once you have let go of the mouse while using the selection tool (I noticed this works for the crop tool too - and no doubt others) you really cannot resize the selection BUT if you keep the mouse button down - and then press and hold the spacebar, when you do this the selection moves, let go of the spacebar and the selection resizes again. Do all of this while keeping the mouse button down.

I used to find myself selecting part of the screen and getting a rough size right but found I was a few pixels out and then would try to resize the selection - and this really doesn't work. So using the technique above allows you to get the surrounding size about right, find you are a few pixels out and then use the spacebar move option to nudge those pixels out and then release the bar and resize the image back again. Neat!

Whilst not difficult it did take a few goes to perfect the technique since my mind was still thinking draw the shape and then, after a coffee perhaps, go back and resize!!

No comments:

Post a Comment